Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Carrot Souffle... just like at Piccadilly!


I'm not sure how it came up in conversation, but recently, my husband mentioned that he had the recipe to the carrot souffle that is served in the Piccadilly restaurants... a restaurant that we Southerner's are well familiar with.  This souffle is so sweet and light and airy that there is a really good possibility that you will be able to sneak it onto your kids' plates without a fight.  Admittedly, this isn't the healthiest version of a carrot, but it is darned good and very easy to make! You probably have all this stuff in your kitchen right now as a matter of fact. :)
 
Click for Printable Recipe
 
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups baby carrots
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup bread flour
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • sprinkle of confectioners sugar





Step-by-Step:

2 cups of baby carrots (a 1pound package)
1/4 cup water
Cover and microwave for 10 minutes
Drain and add the cooked carrots to the food processor
1 - 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

4 large eggs
1/3 cup bread flour
1/2 cup butter (8 Tbsp)
I used butter flavored, non-stick spray to grease my casserole dish
The batter should come only about halfway up the sides of the dish, as it will puff up a lot!
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F. 
Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and serve
This almost qualifies as a dessert!
Somehow in the end, it doesn't quite resemble a carrot any more.  Mmmm...
Just a thought... wouldn't this be darling baked and served in little pumpkins at Halloween time?!


Connect with me.    
If you are new to MenuMusings, click here to subscribe so you won't miss a thing!  I'll send you notifications of new posts to help you avoid that proverbial cooking rut.  You can also follow me on Pinterest and on the MenuMusings facebook page.

Also, Please be sure to visit my YouTube Channel for short video tutorials on selected videos.  Watch me explain the steps of the recipes in just a few minutes!  Just one more way that I'm giving you the tools to get in that kitchen!!! Aren't you curious?  Click and see how many there are!  :)

Here's just one delicious example - Buffalo Chicken Dip!  YUMMM!!


Order the Menu Musings Cookbook!

Please visit my Recipe Index for more soups and lots of different ideas to cook with/for your family! Here are a few different things:
Spicy Garlic Shrimp 
 

 

Food Nerd Notes -
A soufflé is a lightly baked cake made with egg yolks and beaten egg whites combined with various other ingredients and served as a savory main dish or sweetened as a dessert.  The word soufflé comes from the French verb souffler which means "to blow up" or more loosely "puff up"- which is  description of what happens to this combination of ingredients. 

When it comes out of the oven, a soufflé should be puffed up and fluffy, and it will generally fall after 5 or 10 minutes (as risen dough does).  Soufflés can be made in containers of all shapes and sizes but it is traditional to make soufflé in individual ramekins.

Written Directions

Cook the baby carrots with the water in the microwave for 10 minutes, covered.  Remove them from the water with a slotted spoon (to drain them), and throw them into a food processor along with the next six ingredients.  Blend until smooth.  Pour carrot puree into a greased casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees F, for an hour to an hour and a half (depending on the size of the dish and depth of the batter.)  Sprinkle with confectioners sugar to serve.  That's it!

Keep in mind that this is the quick and dirty version of a souffle.  For the real deal, you would use beaten egg yolks and fold in the egg whites which have been beaten to a soft peak meringue.  This would be really light and airy.  So that basically makes this recipe a "mock souffle," but that's okay.

9 comments:

  1. This was so unbelievably good that I literally went from the table to the computer to write this. OMG, is there crack in there??? Haha. It was fantastic! The cooler it got the better it got. It could double as dessert but also good as a side. So yummy, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you the number of times I've made this...and it's ALL GONE EVERYTIME!!!! Everyone loves it, my kids especially. Though I did cut the sugar back a touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to drop me this message. I haven't made this in quite a while. It may be time to drag it back out. :)
      - Julie

      Delete
  3. You didnt say how long to cook at 350. How long does it stay in the oven before its ready?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for the delay. I was on vacation for the holidays. It was in the written instructions to back for an hour and a half depending on the size of the casserole.

      Delete
  4. I have always been a huge fan of Piccadilly’s carrot soufflé so when I found your recipe I went to the store and bought everything I needed to make it! I was a little short on sugar so I added in a bit of brown sugar as well to make up for it. I also couldn’t find a food processor since I’m visiting my mom so I used a blender instead. It’s in the oven at the moment and it already smells amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanna - I hope it's just what you were expecting and that you and the family enjoyed it! :)
      Thanks for dropping me a comment.
      - Julie

      Delete
  5. Is the sugar one a half cups? Thank you 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry. This landed in my spam folder. The sugar is one to one and a half cups depending on your preference.

      Delete

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest