Monday, June 3, 2013

Loaded Baked Potato Slabs with Cilantro Lime Dipping Sauce


You know Summer is imminent when you have a house full of teenagers... fishing out back on the lake, riding dune buggies, and having a great time!  Then they descend upon the kitchen - ravenous!  Well if you are looking for something to feed them... try this recipe on for size!  I assure you, there was not even one piece left over.  I did manage to have ONE of these, but abdicated the rest to the boys.

Almost everyone I know loves loaded potato skins... but you can only get like two skins from each potato.  By making thick slices of the potatoes, I can get many more from each potato.  Granted, there isn't much "skin," but the potato itself serves as the vessel to convey all the yummy toppings.

Click for Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
Hmmm.. let's see here.  This one was just for fun, so I didn't even write notes.  The ingredient amounts will depend, obviously, on the quantity you are making.  We're gonna have to float through this recipe a bit.  The idea here is to top them however you would like them.
  • large russet baking potatoes
    • 1 used 4 for a large pan.  Allow perhaps allow 1 per person.
  • kosher salt for salting the water
  • 4 - 5 strips of bacon
  • grated cheese
    • I used a cheddar, mozzarella blend
  • Seasoning of your choice for potatoes - salt, pepper, garlic powder?, creole seasoning?, Maybe a pre-made spice rub would be good.  Whatever you want to spice them up.  
  • 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • Juice of 1 large lime
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro
  • chives to garnish

Step-by-Step:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Please wash and scrub the potatoes first.  They WERE grown in dirt, you know. 
Yes, I do have pink Disney princess plates in my sink.  Doesn't everyone?
Cut them into thick slabs.  I used the widest setting on my mandolin.  
Add cold water to cover the potatoes, salt the water, and bring to a boil. 

Allow to boil for about 5 minutes.  They should still be firm.  We are only partially cooking them. 

Don't overcook them or they will turn to mush!

While the potatoes are cooking, I cooked some bacon.  I cut the bacon into lardons - about 1/2" pieces.  Cook the bacon until crisp.  Drain the bacon on a paper towel lined plate, but save the bacon grease.  
I used Maple flavored bacon just to have that extra flavor, but the bottom line is - use what you have!


When the potatoes are done, drain them and rinse in cold water. 


Pat the potatoes dry, then drizzle with the bacon grease, then season them up liberally.  


Roast the potatoes at around 400 degrees F until you see a nice brown on them, flip and roast the other side.  It may take 10 - 12 minutes per side.  Just keep roasting them until they look done.  I roasted them on a cooking rack so the hot air could circulate under them as well.  After they are brown'ish, add your toppings - cheese, crumbled bacon, chives, whatever you fancy.  Put them back in the oven until everything is melted and bubbly and delicious looking. 


While I waited, I mixed up a little dipping sauce:  Greek yogurt, lime juice, chili powder, fresh cilantro, a little of the crumbled bacon, and some seasoning (salt, pepper, whatever).  Need to save yourself a step or two?   You could just serve this with ranch dressing (or a spicy ranch).  I was just looking to do something a little different.  Don't care for Greek yogurt?  Use sour cream instead.
Plain, Greek yogurt.  Maybe 1/2 a cup?
Juice of 1 whole fresh lime
Chili powder (or chipotle chili powder if you prefer). 1/4 - 1/2 tsp?
crumbled bacon.. I may have had about 1 - 2 Tbsp left over.
fresh chopped cilantro.  Ummm  about 1 Tbsp.
Adjust your seasonings and get ready for the troops to move in!
Add salt, pepper, etc to your liking
When everything is brown and bubbly, remove them and serve with the dipping sauce.
Find some kiddos and turn them loose! 


Are you feeling sorry for my kids yet?  Sometimes, I'm sure they wish for more regular stuff.  "Why can't you just throw some ranch dressing in there?" And then other times, I'll hear from other kids (or their parents) about how much they enjoyed something "cool" that I made here while they were over.  I guess it's just my kids' job to grumble a bit every now and then about the stuff I make.  :) 

Order the Menu Musings Cookbook!
 
Enjoyed the recipe? Then please check out my Recipe Index for tons of ideas for you to cook for your hungry kiddos!  Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Baked Chicken Taquitos

Meatball Stuffed Buns


Meatball Stuffed Fried Ravioli

Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas

Homemade Snickers Bars

Roasted Red Pepper and Basil Pesto Penne

Method:
Please wash and scrub the potatoes first.  They WERE grown in dirt, you know.  Cut them into thick slabs.  I used the widest setting on my mandolin.  Add cold water to cover the potatoes, salt the water, and bring to a boil.  Allow to boil for about 5 minutes.  They should still be firm.  We are only partially cooking them.  While the potatoes are cooking, I cooked some bacon.  I cut the bacon into lardons - about 1/2" pieces.  Cook the bacon until crisp.  Drain the bacon on a paper towel lined plate, but save the bacon grease.

When the potatoes are done, drain them and rinse in cold water.  Drizzle the potatoes with the bacon grease, then season them up liberally.   Roast the potatoes until you see a nice brown on them, flip and roast the other side.  I roasted them on a cooking rack so the hot air could circulate under them as well.  After they are brown'ish, add your toppings - cheese, crumbled bacon, chives, whatever you fancy.  Put them back in the oven until everything is melted and bubbly and delicious looking.  While I waited, I mixed up a little dipping sauce:  Greek yogurt, lime juice, chili powder, fresh cilantro, a little of the crumbled bacon, and some seasoning (salt, pepper, whatever).

If you have enjoyed this post, please sign up as a Subscriber, and please share the post with your friends and family! 

6 comments:

  1. Yum! These look AMAZING! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh my word these look incredible! I can't turn down anything with potato and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, you posted the recipe! Looks incredible... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious!! Yumm.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look so good.

    ReplyDelete

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest